This is a video clip from one house that was inspected. It was raining heavily that day and the water table was very high. The pressure of the water was actually flowing in through the point of least resistance, which in this case was the slab floor, into the basement through the old condensate drain next to the furnace.
Clearly the weeping tile around the house was in poor condition. The house needed a sump pump and pit to eject the water out from the house. Over time, such water intrusion can have a considerable impact on the foundation of a house and all the materials within the basement that would promote mould growth.
Electrical panels are a place where cold air will infiltrate into the home . However, this was not expected . First the danger of applying the insulation into the panel , and second , moisture or dampness building up within the insulation creating potential fire . The insulation should be removed immediately.
Every now and then in this line of business you come across something really special. The picture above is graphic. At one home inspection I came across a dead mouse in the breaker panel. Who knows how long the carcass had been there. The panel had holes for which wires are introduced into the panel , and from there the mouse had entered . Fortunately, limited damage had occurred within the panel. This demonstrates that the electrical panel must be sealed for safety.
Substandard knob and tube wiring will need to be upgraded for insurance companies.
Some houses just beg for an inspection, like this one outside of Spencerville. After a decade or so of neglect, the prior owner lost this 130-year old farm house to the bank. A young couple decided to take a chance on it, but wisely put in their offer conditions for not just one inspection, but four.